
Next was the Reading Rug, where Mrs. Capatosto read “Manny’s Cows: The Niagara Fall’s Tale”. At this time, the students were asked a number of comprehension or schema questions. They were to think, tell your partner, and then raise you hand when you were done. This was an easy task for the students and it kept them paying attention to the story because they were to interact in groups, instead of just thinking about their own opinions of the story. Then, we had centers (Listening, Computers, Guided/Partner Reading). I usually walk around the room to each station making sure the students are staying on track, and that there are no computer difficulties with the students in the back of the room. Mrs. Capatosto has a great group of students this year; I never have to worry about these students giving me a hard time. I really respect and admire teachers in the elementary level who know how to keep control of their students, even if they may run out of the room for a minute. At 11am I left the classroom and signed out at the front office.

When you wrote that you "respect" teachers who control their students, what did you mean? Are they controlling or engaging? There's a difference. Think of the word "control" - how is this a negative, and how is it a positive?
ReplyDelete